Saturday, February 14, 2009

Making and Recalling Memories

Another two weeks have flown by, and I have officially been interning at the Daily News for a month now. Most of the assignments these past two weeks have been simple, but I have enjoyed them all. The first one I covered was an awards ceremony at the Okaloosa County Sheriff’s Office. The first picture was Renee Gault who received an award for her community service with the Crime Protection Program. Her former dog, Poncho, was a part of the service but passed away. Posse will be taking over Poncho’s duties as soon as he receives his pet-therapy certification. Besides the funny hat, that dog had a hilarious dog carrier.

Photobucket

The second picture was of Bob Grappone, who was named 2008 sworn officer of the year. Both of these images were published.

Photobucket

On February 5, I went to Westwood Retirement Resort and took pictures of a group of people who lived during the Great Depression. They were discussing the economic problems of the era, how much money they received, how much essential items cost, what they did for entertainment, and the connection between that time and today’s economic issues. One lady said she paid 100 dollars a year for college during that time, while another woman said that couples shared cokes with two straws, which cost around 10 cents. This man is now 101 years old and still swims and has a license:

(published)
Photobucket

This woman was only visiting, but she had plenty of stories of her own to share:
Photobucket

Yesterday I photographed my first baseball game of the Northwest Florida State College team. I did photograph a few UF games last year, but I still wasn’t sure what to expect with the different atmospheres. I used the Daily News’ 300 mm lens and Nikon body and captured a good action shot and some pitcher shots. This was the published picture:

Photobucket

Later in the day I covered a Valentine’s Day dance for soldiers and the elder community. This was Nick’s assignment, and I just wanted to tag along. The dance was pretty cute, and all of the older people were very sweet. None of these images were published, but they were included in a joint gallery. If I am still here next year around this time, then I will definitely go back to this assignment:

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Lastly, Nick and I went over to NWF State College and shot a men’s soccer game. We were pressed by deadline, so after we covered our equipment with trash bags, we ended up only shooting for about five minutes. I think Nick spent more time covering our gear than actually shooting, but he captured some great images. Here is one shot I got (not published) in the few minutes we were there:

Photobucket

That is it for now. Happy Valentine’s Day everyone! Until next time.

No comments: