Saturday, January 31, 2009

Teaching, thanking, talking, and training

This week was pretty slow. The assignments I did get in though turned out pretty well. Tuesday I went to Edwins Elementary School next to FWB High and took pictures of kids creating splatter art. This art, which was created by Jackson Pollock, consisted of coloring a sheet of paper in blocks of different colors excluding black.

Photobucket

Once that part is completed, the students went outside and splattered the black paint onto the page. Although the assignment sounded like it had some great photo opportunities, my range of options were limited. It was hard to get close to the kids because the paint could land on my lens, which currently does not have a filter on it. The teacher did not get close enough to the kids for me to get a great interaction shot either.

Photobucket

But that is part of a photojournalist's job, to shoot what you can and work with what you have. The first two images were published.

Photobucket

Friday was the next time I went shooting, and I had two assignments this time. My first assignment was to take a picture of a sign that was being hung in remembrance of a guy who was killed by a drunk driver. The sign was being hung at one of the places he went very frequently: Emerald Coast Dirt & Vert. His mom made a foundation in his name for BMX and skateboarders that do not have the means to pay for time at the park, and the foundation allows these needy bikers to go there for free. The photo does not say much, but the story behind it was really good.

Photobucket

After that assignment I went to Mary Esther Elementary School for a “Super Bowl with Dad” lunch. There were several kids with their dads in the cafeteria, but for those children without parents present, some of the Fort Walton Beach High School football players were there to talk with them.

Photobucket

Today I went with Nick to a cat show on Okaloosa Island. Nick was amused, but I was not quite sure what to think about the whole event. The show was definitely interesting because of all of the different types of cats, but I wish I could have seen some really cool cat tricks. I did get some good shots though. I especially love the cat's tongue in the second photo.

Photobucket

Photobucket

I am not sure how much of an update I will have next week because I will be out of town for a few days, but I hope to have some great images to share next week. Until next time: www.nwfdailynews.com.

No comments: