Saturday, February 28, 2009

Things to Remember, things to Forget

I had a late start this week, but I managed to squeeze in three assignments of my own. On Thursday I traveled to Morrison Springs Park for the reopening and ribbon ceremony. Of course the ribbon cutting part is visually boring, so I stuck around and captured a few moments of the first several divers. I saw this woman flinging water up from her fins, so I took a few shots hoping to catch the action. It was a good shot that had some appeal.

Photobucket

On Friday I traveled back in time…hypothetically…to Choctawhatchee High School and took pictures of students and faculty celebrating the 40th anniversary of the Tinker v. Des Moines Supreme Court case, which assured first amendment rights for students. Some of the most challenging assignments are the ones that have very little to them. The less there is to work with, the harder it is to come up with a strong, interesting image. I struggled with that concept here because there were a few tables with students and faculty eating and talking. I knew I wanted someone listening or talking as well as the armbands they were wearing. I caught both in this image, which was published:

Photobucket

Later that day, I was assigned to take pictures at an Elementary School Kindergarten singing program. The program was created to celebrate Black History Month and educate the children on the historical significance of the songs they were singing in relation to the stories behind the creation of the songs. This assignment was handed to me at last minute, and I had to shoot stills and video. I wanted to improve my video skills and saw this as the perfect opportunity. The children there were simply hilarious. The face of this boy in the first photo might look like any common bored boy face, however, the boy was ironically pushing his eyes back because they were singing the line in Amazing Grace: “Was blind but now I see”.

Photobucket

This girl was very entertaining too. I thought this moment of her placing her hands in prayer was simply sweet because I was able to shoot from a low angle and not distract her in anyway:

Photobucket

This was the photo that ran in the paper:

Photobucket

VIDEO:



Today I tagged along with Nick on several of his assignments. He needed to find a feature today, and because of the wind, we headed to the Island. Here are a couple shots I took on the Island:

Photobucket

Photobucket

After a couple other assignments, Nick and I drove to Destin in search of a deputy. The photo Nick needed was to accompany a story, and we spotted an accident in Destin with two deputies present. I had a hard time understanding how the accident happened because the man whose truck was hit, kept rambling about being mistreated. I took several shots of both trucks hit:

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

www.nwfdailynews.com

No comments: