Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Sliding, jumping, and skating forward

The past couple of weeks have been slow because of the recent storms, but I managed to fit in a few assignments. I went along with Nick to cover a couple of high school sports on Tuesday, March 24 and captured a few good images at the softball game. I caught the Choctaw player catching the ball and then rolling on the ground afterward. I love her expressions. The first and third pictures were published:

www.nwfdailynews.com

www.nwfdailynews.com

www.nwfdailynews.com

www.nwfdailynews.com

On Monday, March 30 (the first sunny day in several days) I was sent to find a feature at a local park. I never know what to expect when I go to parks since it can range from people eating, relaxing, or swinging to people doing group activities with a lot of action. When I pulled up I immediately saw people eating on a bench, a mother gently pushing her child in a swing, and a group of kids playing on the grass. I walked over to them and noticed they were playing ‘Simon Says’. For their age group, I was a little surprised to see them playing that game, which made the circumstance all the more interesting. I took a few shots and one ran in the paper the next day:

www.nwfdailynews.com

The next assignment I went on was a baseball game in Niceville. I went along with Nick on Friday just for practice, but my photo ended up being the picture that ran in the paper the next day:

www.nwfdailynews.com

On Saturday I photographed a roller derby bout at Ferry Park. Ironically, the competition that the local group played was the group that I photographed in Gainesville last July. They were called the Gainesville Roller Rebels, which sounded familiar to me, so I looked up my old photos and noticed they were the same team. The local team, the Beach Brawl Sk8r Dolls, won the bout by nine points. I enjoyed shooting the bout even though the lighting was horrible. I did what I could and let Photoshop do the rest. Here are three of my favorite pictures:

www.nwfdailynews.com

www.nwfdailynews.com

www.nwfdailynews.com

www.nwfdailynews.com

No comments: