Saturday, January 24, 2009

It's his-tory

This past week’s assignments all had something in common: history being made & President Obama. On Monday I covered the Martin Luther King, Jr. parade near downtown Fort Walton Beach. This was my first solo assignment at the paper and was my first video assignment ever. Shooting stills at the parade was very similar to shooting stills at the Homecoming parade in Gainesville last year. The parade and crowd here were smaller, but the search for great photo opportunities was not any less challenging. The video was a little harder, especially since it was hard to hold the camera steady, but I tried to shoot more for quality since I knew I could improve on shakiness in practice. Here are two images from the parade, both published:

Photobucket

Photobucket

VIDEO:



On Tuesday I went to Pryor Middle School to photograph students watching the inauguration. This kid was very enthusiastic and I was hoping to capture more images of him:

Photobucket

On Friday I went to another school, Mary Esther Elementary, to photograph a substitute teacher who was present at the inauguration on Tuesday. I was able to capture one great snapshot of the kids listening attentively to him. His story was pretty interesting, but I found the children’s questions the most humorous since he had already answered all their questions during his speech. Both images were published:

Photobucket

Photobucket

That is it for this update. Check back in later for more images. Don’t forget to check the Web site as well: www.nwfdailynews.com.

No comments: