Monday, September 20, 2010

Reliving the Adventure... through images

UF vs. USC 2008

Sometimes going back in time can be fun. Our thoughts can carry us there during a down moment, our friends can reminisce about it through conversation, or the simple act of noticing something familiar can trigger the memories and feelings from that time. I can't speak for most photojournalists, but every so often I like to travel back in time through my images and take a closer look at the events I photographed. With the college football season underway, I felt the itch to go back into my Gator football folder and dig through a game I photographed on the sidelines in 2008. As I did so, I found a plethora of photos that went unnoticed my first time around the editing process. Out of those images, here are some of my favorites:

This was during the Tim Tebow era and the National Championship-winning season. The game was against South Carolina and the odds were with the Gators.

UF vs. USC 2008

This season had a bundle of talent like Aaron Hernandez (81), Tim Tebow (15), Jeff Demps (2), Percy Harvin (1)...

UF vs. USC 2008

...and Brandon Spikes (51).

UF vs. USC 2008

Smiles escaped Urban Meyer even after an interception by Brandon Spikes was caught and returned for a touchdown (above image). Urban's sturdy, blank stare was a common reoccurence through the rest of the season and the following year. Now Urban has turned that frown upside down - at least for the good parts of the game.

UF vs. USC 2008

The offense during the Tebow era had more running game. Let me rephrase that, the offense had a more powerful running game. Tebow took hits like no other quarterback and images like this might become more scarce with the current quarterback...

UF vs. USC 2008

...who is John Brantley, a more pro-style quarterback who has been known for his throwing capabilities. Here he is as a back up in 2008. Since then he has grown more in his skills and has become more built and toned.

UF vs. USC 2008

The fans are just as loud, passionate, and expressive now as they were then. However, I feel the reactions might be more on the negative side now than it was during that season.

 UF vs. USC 2008

Let's not forget the former coaches. Steve Addazio started as the offensive coordinator last year after Dan Mullen left for the head coaching position at Mississippi State. Here is Mullen after the game in 08:

UF vs. USC 2008

Ahmad Black still reigns as a strong safety in the Gator Nation. Here Ahmad celebrates after catching an interception (something he is highly known for doing):

UF vs. USC 2008

Tebow takes a snap:

UF vs. USC 2008

Jeff Demps is the only player besides Brantley and Ahmad in this blog post that is still a player on the current team. Hernandez and Spikes were drafted after last season to the New England Patriots, Harvin was drafted after the National Championship to the Minnesota Vikings, and Tim Tebow was drafted after last season to the Denver Broncos. Here is Demps back in 2008 meeting some fans after the game:

UF vs. USC 2008

But my question is, where will Demps go after the season? Right now he is orchestrated as one of the best players in the nation. He most definitely has the fastest speed out of any runningback and can out run many of his opponents, but he is only a junior and could easy decide to stay for his senior year next year. Whatever the case may be, the Gator offense is explosive with him there and could quite possibly provide some spark during this lackluster season of Gator football.

Now that I have found and relived some of the most precious moments in my photojournalistic history, I can place these memories back in my past by safely storing them away in that file folder like a scrapbook stuffed away on a shelf...

Or I can keep them here and use them to remind myself of the adventures I can have and capabilities I already have as a photojournalist.

I think I'll do the latter.

No comments: