Monday, January 18, 2010

Winter Action

www.nwfdailynews.com

End of 2009:

The holiday madness and some personal business matters kept me from shooting pictures and updating my blog very much these past few weeks. But here it is, finally. Just after Christmas, I covered a few back-to-back basketball games as part of a tournament at FWB High on Dec. 28. The top picture (which was published) is of the Crestview boys - who lost that game - and the two below (from gallery) are of Niceville (lost) and Choctaw (won).

www.nwfdailynews.com

www.nwfdailynews.com

The next day I went back to the high school and took more pictures of the tournament. This time I captured Niceville v. Crestview (both local teams) in which Niceville pulled off the win, 36-30.

www.nwfdailynews.com

www.nwfdailynews.com

2010:

My first assignment of the New Year wasn't like a field full of falling confetti or blow horns blaring right and left, but it was still significant. Florida is known for having snowbirds at this time of the year, but I am sure the snowbirds didn't expect Florida to be a parallel of the bitter cold winters they left behind them. With temperatures in the upper 20s for most of that week, the snowbirds made their way indoors to an annual Senior Snowbird Expo on Okaloosa Island. The expo had the typical format you would expect from one, but a few interesting tables made for some good shots. This picture is of a lady from Canada playing with a "penny toy" by the FWB's Heritage Park & Cultural Center:

www.nwfdailynews.com
(published)

On Jan. 14 - the one year anniversary of my start at the Daily News - I tagged along with Nick and photographed a soccer game. I wasn't able to practice much soccer last year (I think I covered one game with Nick) so this year I made it a priority for myself. Here is a photo I took for a gallery:

www.nwfdailynews.com

The next night I went back to the same field and shot more soccer, only this time it was guys instead of girls. I used the paper's Nikon and 300 and came up with some decent shots. Fort Walton played Niceville and lost 4-0.

www.nwfdailynews.com

www.nwfdailynews.com
(published)

Lastly, today I covered the first assignment of the New Year that was also something I covered last year - The Martin Luther King Jr. parade. I only shot video this time, but I worked hard to top last year's video and believe I succeeded. (Last year's video is under Jan 09)

No comments: