Sunday, November 1, 2009

A New Leaf

www.nwfdailynews.com

Art at the beach. It's not a bad way to spend a sunny Sunday afternoon with family and friends. I joined in the atmosphere and photographed the 14th Annual Destin Festival of the Arts at Henderson State Beach Park. Many of the tents had paintings and photographs, but the glass art drew me closer. I scouted the area for awhile and finally settled for the first photo. Another interesting photo opp was at a 3D picture art tent. By looking through polarized lenses, certain sea life would jump out at you and create that 3D visual. I caught this girl gazing through the lenses and snapped the picture for the second print photo:

www.nwfdailynews.com

I always search for funny or unusual moments to capture, and caught these two women asleep on the park chairs. I thought their postures were funny, so I snapped a shot before returning to the assignment:

www.nwfdailynews.com

www.nwfdailynews.com

On Tuesday I photographed a district volleyball game at Rocky Bayou Christian School. RBCS won against Bethlehem and advanced to the next level. The published photo:

www.nwfdailynews.com

I also videotaped my first sports video for the Web site:



Thursday morning I traveled to Choctaw Field in Navarre to photograph the Air Force Special Operations Command's new joint training program. In the first picture, one of the trainers launches the Battlefield Air Targeting Micro Vehicle (BATMAV) as a Navy sailor operates the vehicle by ground control (bottom photo):

www.nwfdailynews.com

The Aircraft is already being used in Iraq and Afghanistan, and the number of trainees in the program is only increasing. They started with 11, but plan to do more throughtout the first year. (paraphrased from article)

www.nwfdailynews.com

Thursday I once again traveled to Rocky Bayou Christian School to photograph the district volleyball game. RBCS advanced to the next game and beat Central High School. Here is the photo published:

www.nwfdailynews.com

I also did another video of the game:



Already 10 weeks into football, and I still can't get enough. This week I traveled to Niceville High and photographed them against Daphne High School (from Alabama). The game was largely in Niceville's favor as they dominated the scoreboard early in the game. One of the touchdown passes was my picture in print:

www.nwfdailynews.com

www.nwfdailynews.com

My first football video of the season:



www.nwfdailynews.com

Roy Finch (#24) accounted for several touchdowns during the game and was knocked onto the track after scoring on one of them. I caught the footage on video, and Finch rose to his feet as the crowd cheered in relief.

www.nwfdailynews.com

The crowd cheers while the band plays a song. I noticed the pink breast cancer ribbons on people's shirts and the player's pink wrappings around their feet, but I never found out the reasons why they chose that week to support breast cancer cure research.

www.nwfdailynews.com

The week was productive and the sports videos were a new leaf on my experience tree. I plan to continue shooting sports videos (esp. on Friday night football games) and work on my shooting/editing skills. Until next time...

www.nwfdailynews.com
www.varsitysportswest.com

No comments: